Sunday 22 May 2016

Katharine Mary - The first Drascombe Lugger

We all know the history of how Drascombe boats began, for a few years now I have always been curious of the whereabouts of Katharine Mary.

With the 50th Anniversary of Drascombes in 2017, I thought how nice it would be to have the original Lugger on show against a current production Lugger, so I set out to find her. Luckily it was easier than I thought

So one Sunday back in October last year, I set off for the drive with my mum to visit the owner, Graham has owned KM since 1976, and for the past few years has been sat on dry land. Meeting with Graham and his wife was lovely, I went with the aim of asking if we could use her to go on show during the 2017 celebrations. However once we got talking, and I asked what their plans were for her, Graham asked if I would like to buy her, well to say I was surprised was an understatement, how could I say no to an offer like that.

After some talking and looking over the boat, I agreed with Graham a price which we would pay for her.



Upon arriving home and telling our daughters about Katharine Mary, Lauren and Hannah decided to buy the boat themselves, preserving a piece of Drascombe history.

Our plan is too refurbish Katharine Mary back to her originality as much as possible. Kate Watkinson and her son were delighted to hear that we had found KM, and what are plans for her will be.

I will update my blog as often as I can about her progress, as I am sure there are many of you interested in her.

Katharine Mary will hopefully be on display at the London Boat Show 2017 all being well, along with a new Drascombe Lugger, however if I have my way there will be a few more Drascombes on the stand .

What a great way to start the 50th Anniversary year.



1 comment: